Author Topic: NAF Results for Spike! 2010 are now up  (Read 10636 times)

Offline Aberrant

• Emerging Star
Re: NAF Results for Spike! 2010 are now up
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »

I'm a sanctioned NAF organizer, it's why I usually have the dice on hand.

That's why we like to call Brett "The Dice Pimp."

AWESOME!!!
Mike H

Offline General Jason

• Treasurer
  • Da' Management
  • Star
    • Thunderbowl
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 12:50:41 PM »
Sounds simple enough to organize sanctioned tourney play, set up a good db, stats, rules etc, and then petition NAF to become NAF sanctioned league organizer.  Plan it out, get all the infrastructure, and then merge with the NAF.

Believe me I've talked to Dave Downes (Lycos) at length about this. I would involve setting up a second database and figuring out the criteria for what is sanctioned and what is not. Dave is not against the idea, welcomes it, but put it on ice until after the Tournament Director election was resolved (done) and all the details of where the 2011 NAF World Cup would be (done - Netherlands). So unless something else has come up he should be game to start talking about this now.

I for one am not though. As much as I want to see this done, I have pending projects that I'll be devoting my club spare time to, these being: second clock order, 10 new boards, pestering the development of better tournament software, and most importantly - getting a mold done and reforging the Spike! Trophy in time for Spike! 2011. Add league play on top of that as well - I'm swamped for now.  :D

I would like to see smaller 1-day 3-4 game NAF sanctioned local tournaments set up - not only for exposure at Trumpeters or whatever, but for those who still want to play more games. Thunderkrunch comes to mind. Totally game for that so long as somebody other than Mike or myself are prepared to run it. Given the scale is much smaller - less players, less games, less days, the Tournament Orgaizer could probably have the luxury of playing as well. 
Do not feed Trolls - they regenerate on a 4+.

Offline brettness37 (Brawling Anura)

• Fans
  • Emerging Star
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
Now I know what to get Brett for Christmas :D

Only if it comes with a matching cane, belt buckle, ring, feather coat and fedora.

• Fans
  • Emerging Star
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »

I for one am not though. As much as I want to see this done, I have pending projects that I'll be devoting my club spare time to, these being: second clock order, 10 new boards, pestering the development of better tournament software, and most importantly - getting a mold done and reforging the Spike! Trophy in time for Spike! 2011. Add league play on top of that as well - I'm swamped for now.  :D

I would like to see smaller 1-day 3-4 game NAF sanctioned local tournaments set up - not only for exposure at Trumpeters or whatever, but for those who still want to play more games. Thunderkrunch comes to mind. Totally game for that so long as somebody other than Mike or myself are prepared to run it. Given the scale is much smaller - less players, less games, less days, the Tournament Orgaizer could probably have the luxury of playing as well. 

I've been looking into local armorers, and all I need is a set of specs for the software.

I'd be willing to sit at the desk for registration/data entry/other boring stuff on the day to get another tournament going, but I have nowhere near the time for the front end organizing (location, promotion ect.).

Offline dr. evil

• Underbowl XXII Champion
  • Star
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 07:27:01 AM »
The newton GW store will host a tournament. The only thing is that you have to use GW figs and they must be painted. The last time I talked to Colton he wanted to make sure the date of the tournament didn't fall on a game day for them and that all prizes handed out were from the store (GW figs or GC). I've even got permission to use non-GW figs if they don't produce them (for example, slann).

I don't have the time to organize the whole tournament but can help out with the venue if we want to use the store. If we use only the tables in the back you could get at least 8 games going. For a first time 1-day event that should be enough room and the venue would be free.

Just a thought.
Beware the pink dice

Offline Gimli

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »
I was introduced to Thunderbowl through a one day tournament (Westside Beatdown in Dec. '07), so I know it's a great way to attract new coaches to the League.  

I'd also be willing to help organize a one day tournament. While I like Simon's idea that we use the GW store in Newton, can I also throw out the idea that we try to organize one as an add-on to Trumpeter's Salute in March?  We wouldn't have to work around retail hours (which was a big problem at Quake and, it appears, the Chaos Cup),the GW restrictions would be less intense, and we'd have plenty of time to get our act together.

While I'm a member of the Trumpeter club I don't go often, and am not sure really who is in charge.  That said, I'd be willing to talk to the powers that be there to see if we could get some space for a one day tournament.  Anyone strongly opposed to me doing so?

Offline dr. evil

• Underbowl XXII Champion
  • Star
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:07 AM »
I don't care if we do it at Trumpeter's or not. All I was looking for was a free venue to hold the tournament at. When we get a date and poster/flyers made up I'll hit all the game store again.
Beware the pink dice

• Fans
  • Emerging Star
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »

Anyone strongly opposed to me doing so?

I'm in favour of you doing so.

Offline Administrator

• Wizard
  • Rookie
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »

Anyone strongly opposed to me doing so?

I'm in favour of you doing so.

+1, thanks Murray.

BTW, I think Salute is the first week of April (Friday the 1st, through Sunday the 3rd) in 2011.

Offline Administrator

• Wizard
  • Rookie
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
I don't care if we do it at Trumpeter's or not. All I was looking for was a free venue to hold the tournament at. When we get a date and poster/flyers made up I'll hit all the game store again.

Simon, what hours can they do at the Newton GW? I can help with this one as I live relatively close by.
Also:
1) how many games can we run at the same time? It looked to me like 6 games (12 players) was the max.
2) would they have an issue with us using non-GW boards like the Rat City ones?

Offline Akalabeth

• Emerging Star
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 09:06:14 AM »
Speaking of the GW store, isn't there some other venue called like the Chaos Bunker or something in Burnaby(?) which is basically some sort of GW club where they play 40k and so on. But maybe it's possible to have a tournament there? I don't know anything about the place (including the name) other than they play games that I don't so I've no real interest in going there. But it might be a decent play for a tournament, in terms of size, and maybe could poach some GW players from other games.

EDIT - Also as far as game stores go, I think the store near the New West skytrain is of decent size, though I don't know how many tables they have. Probably can't get too many people in there, but maybe like 20? It's the odd place with the brick interior that looks more like a LARP hangout than anything else haha. Heck even that Craving for a Game looks like they had a decent number of tables, though it was full of pokemon players the one time I was in there. Though mind you probably not enough tables to hold something like the size of the Spike.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:17:24 AM by Akalabeth »

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
I think Craving would be a great place for a one dayer.S.

Offline Harbinger

• Star
  • Back on the pain train.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »
Speaking of the GW store, isn't there some other venue called like the Chaos Bunker or something in Burnaby(?) which is basically some sort of GW club where they play 40k and so on. But maybe it's possible to have a tournament there? I don't know anything about the place (including the name) other than they play games that I don't so I've no real interest in going there. But it might be a decent play for a tournament, in terms of size, and maybe could poach some GW players from other games.

EDIT - Also as far as game stores go, I think the store near the New West skytrain is of decent size, though I don't know how many tables they have. Probably can't get too many people in there, but maybe like 20? It's the odd place with the brick interior that looks more like a LARP hangout than anything else haha. Heck even that Craving for a Game looks like they had a decent number of tables, though it was full of pokemon players the one time I was in there. Though mind you probably not enough tables to hold something like the size of the Spike.

I think you may be referring to Thor's Hideout which hosted the A-Club. The location is no longer in business. The Club moved to Forsaken Games which is still open. That place would be good for a one day event. I believe that is the one you are referring to in your edit.

Offline Akalabeth

• Emerging Star
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:12 AM »

I think you may be referring to Thor's Hideout which hosted the A-Club. The location is no longer in business. The Club moved to Forsaken Games which is still open. That place would be good for a one day event. I believe that is the one you are referring to in your edit.

Correct on all counts.
Either Forsaken or Craving for a Game seem like good places for a one day tournament. Both in terms of space and also in terms of location, since peopel seem to consider CPI somewhat central and both of these places are not far off.

Offline Lord Chaos

• The Best Looking Champion in Thunderbowl History
  • Da' Management
  • Star
  • Suck my Block!
    • TB Comics
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 02:08:13 AM »
Darryl loves Thor Burgers. :P
I would 16 turn foul my mom, so don't be shocked when I do it to you!!!!