Author Topic: I need an Orc Thrower  (Read 6988 times)

Offline hotpanda40k

• Fans
  • Rookie
I need an Orc Thrower
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
My current Orc thrower was on the path to success.  He has the following skills:

Dodge
AG+1

My last game with them he got smashed and ended up with:

-1Ma

So now I have an Orc Thrower that moves as fast a troll but throws like an elf.  He is 7 points shy of his third skill up and I only have 4 games left in the season before the playoffs.  My question to all of you is should I keep the gimped up Orc Thrower or get a new one?

Offline Gimli

• TBRC
  • Star
Re: I need an Orc Thrower
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »
Having AG4 and Dodge is only good if he has the ball.  Otherwise, he is a waste of TV.

At MA5 Orc Throwers are already annoyingly slow, and you need to have a pair in the backfield on a kickoff to have a reasonable chance of picking up the ball. With MA4, that problem is going to be magnified. 

I generally drop a player as soon as he gets a Stat loss that directly affects his usefulness.  So if a CD Blocker suffers an AG loss, or a Lineman takes an MA loss, that's no big deal.  But I'd say having an AG4 Thrower that covers the field like a Tomb Guardian will be frustrating.

I'd cut him. 

Offline hotpanda40k

• Fans
  • Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »
i hired a new thrower since the original one is MNG after his -1Ma accident.  My only thought one using him was to use place him near the LOS and have him move ahead of the play.  This would give me a player that I could use to either catch or hand off to.  Not sure if it is viable but it might just work.

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
I'd keep him until the end of playoffs. You realistically could just hand him the ball and then have him throw it to another player down field. Even long term it isn't bad. I love Goblins on an Orcs team. Get him some catch and Diving catch and you've opened the game up for untypical Orc play. This way you keep the Blitzers fighting it out and the Throwers ball moving it to the faster players. You don't want your ball carrier touched anyways. An Orc Offense is caging and securing the ball, so the ball carrier shouldn't be touched.

Anyways that's how I play it. Troll and BoBs are linemen and the rest are support and killers.
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline hotpanda40k

• Fans
  • Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »
Keggiemckill that is how I have been playing them.  Sadly in my last game I left him open after he passed for to a wide open Orc.  The pass was a success and two turns later a TD.  Since my opponent could not catch my Orc with the ball he took his anger out on my Thrower.

I think keeping him in my hip pocket is the way to go but am looking for a bit of advice on whether my logic is right or not.  Currently 8-0 with 4 more games to go.

Offline Lord Chaos

• The Best Looking Champion in Thunderbowl History
  • Da' Management
  • Star
  • Suck my Block!
    • TB Comics
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:42:20 AM »
kick off return. That is all.
I would 16 turn foul my mom, so don't be shocked when I do it to you!!!!

Offline hotpanda40k

• Fans
  • Rookie
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »
Lord Chaos that is some great advice as well.  Not sure if I should take it before or after Block.

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
If you plan on keeping him long term, block first I'd say. S.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:19:57 AM »
I'd keep him.

I have a thrower on my Amazon team, who suffered a similar injury, -1 MA. so I started to build her in another direction, with skills like:

STRONG ARM

ACCURATE

and Sure Hands.

When she has the Ball, that sucker is gonna go where she wants it to go damn near every time.

In fact she was so good, she was the Award recepient in season 12 (2011) for most completions in B-League.

So, don't worry about that -1 MA. Sure the Orc can't move as far, just take some skills to make up for that short coming on the other side.

Offline hotpanda40k

• Fans
  • Rookie
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
Will also be a good player to help get some Completions with as the Thrower is AG4.
Just concerned about the 140k price tag that the old vet brings to the table.  Right now I am giving away inducements every game.

Offline Islandtrevor

• Fans
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »
Keeping him would really depend on the type of game you play. If you cage and run then a -ma guy is not going to hurt you much, it even makes those desperate passes a little easier to do now and then. If you like to hit first score after then the -ma will be a problem....and if you like to play a move the ball around a lot type of game then....well why play orcs...

The truth is a 4 ag guy on an orc team is nice...but its not playing to the strengths of the team. So you just need to figure if you play more typical orc style or not.

Offline poundfist

• Deputy Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »
Re: the Amazon example, MA6 to MA5 is far less crippling than MA5 to MA4. Drop the TV bloat and get a new Thrower.

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
Or get Accurate as next skill. I would drop him, depending on my upcoming opponents. With the slow MA, you will have him sitting out alone much more frequently. If you are looking at keeping him you need to make longer throws, so Accurate will help in that area.
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro