Author Topic: D&D Basic is out - 5th edition  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
D&D Basic is out - 5th edition
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »
Hi All

Not sure how many people care, but wizards has released their newest version of D&D.  It seems they are trying to go back old school.  They are releasing the basic rules for free, calling it Basic D&D.

http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules

and the players handbook / DMG / Monster manual is more like advanced D&D.  These books come out in the next few months.

Anyway, down load it for fun, if you wish.   Could it be like the old red box with the Magic User, fighter, cleric, thief, elf, Halfling, and dwarf!  Ahh, those were the days…..

From the official site:

The Basic Rules for Dungeons & Dragons is a PDF (over 100 pages, in fact) that covers the core of the game. It runs from levels 1 to 20 and covers the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, presenting what we view as the essential subclass for each. It also provides the dwarf, elf, halfling, and human as race options; in addition, the rules contain 120 spells, 5 backgrounds, and character sheets.

My thoughts:

It isn't 4th edition, that is for sure.  It does seem to be a blend of 3rd edition with basic red box D&D.  Lots more roleplaying support than I expected.  It does have an old school feel.

I do plan on buying the players handbook in August, even if I never play. 
Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]

Offline Mike Lawrence

• Emerging Star
Re: D&D Basic is out - 5th edition
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »
        My 1st D+D was in 1976, the ORIGIONAL blue box, one rulebook, that was DM handbook, player handbook and monster manual all in one 32 page rulebook.  Came with 1 of each die as well since no one sold 4, 8, 12 or 20 sided dice back then, and came with the dungeon B1, fighting goblins and orcs and 1 or 2 owl bears in a seriers of caves around a valley shaped like a letter U!   LOL

Mike
Don't look up a dead horse's ass.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
        My 1st D+D was in 1976, the ORIGIONAL blue box, one rulebook, that was DM handbook, player handbook and monster manual all in one 32 page rulebook.  Came with 1 of each die as well since no one sold 4, 8, 12 or 20 sided dice back then, and came with the dungeon B1, fighting goblins and orcs and 1 or 2 owl bears in a seriers of caves around a valley shaped like a letter U!   LOL

Mike

I sir, still HAVE that box set. Mine is older still as did not even come with dice...but CHIT's you cut out, and a coupon to send away for dice!

Ahhh...Memories

And the Module was B2 - Keep on the Borderlands! A Classic D&D Module!

Offline trentusdementus

• Star
  • Coach of the Psychobots
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
I have been playing this online with friends and I love it. They removed all those nasty modifiers that gum up the works and delay the game with confused players trying to work out their situational bonuses. Easy to understand, quick play, and a reemphasis on roleplaying make it the D&D of choice for me.

Hmm. Did that seem like a commercial? Either way, it isn't Pathfinder (thank goodness) nor the redundant 3.5 edition and once the advanced version has been officially released, I will be talking to my group about switching over from Pathfinder.
2015 Golden Tentacle Champion

Offline squirrel

• Fans
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
I'll look into it.

We're playing 4th atm, but thats cause thats what the wife likes to run, and well, DM's choice. Getting like every book in 4th for 5$ each off various people helped :P.

But I will certainly be looking for a way toget us back into something else, so this might be it :)

Offline trentusdementus

• Star
  • Coach of the Psychobots
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
Well, I went and did it. I picked up the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and from what I've read, I will definitely be picking up the Dungeon Master's Guide as well. This streamlined version is precisely what has been missing for lovers of roleplaying and I love it. Uncomplicated, easy to play/understand for new gamers, and great art that doesn't all look like manga. Yep, I am sold.
2015 Golden Tentacle Champion

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
Well, I went and did it. I picked up the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and from what I've read, I will definitely be picking up the Dungeon Master's Guide as well. This streamlined version is precisely what has been missing for lovers of roleplaying and I love it. Uncomplicated, easy to play/understand for new gamers, and great art that doesn't all look like manga. Yep, I am sold.

Yeah, I have played a couple of sessions already and everyone has been enjoying it.  They have done a good job!
Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]