Author Topic: Does a CD Team need a Mino?  (Read 7919 times)

Offline Gimli

• TBRC
  • Star
Does a CD Team need a Mino?
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
I see that the League Leading Hashut Hellfires dropped their Mino with Juggernaut.

I recently added a Mino - who now has Juggernaut as his only skill (9 SPP) - to my CD team.  I've found that while he hogs the team's blitzes, he definitely adds a certain something to the team. 

I'm definitely keeping him to his next skill, and he will get a lifetime position on the team if he gets a double, but does a CD actually need a Mino?

Offline wedge22

• Star
  • Contact via email or PM
Re: Does a CD Team need a Mino?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
Maybe on a new team but once you have several powerful players you rarely Blitz with him and then he spends most of his time standing around doing nothing.
Thunderbowl Champion

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »
I think he keeps hiring/firing to try and get one with block
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Offline Mike Lawrence

• Emerging Star
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
    For me BIG GUYS are FUN!  Even though I don't think they are worth the points on most teams, I like big guys and always choose to play with them.  That in the end that is more important than whether they are worth it or not.

Mike
Don't look up a dead horse's ass.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
CD team can certainly play without a Minotaur, while a Chaos team definitely needs one.

Maybe early on a mino adds something, but the bull centaurs take on that role before long. Mike's point about playing big guys being fun regardless of other consideration is true though.
Killing your mans dwarfs.

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
Cd's don't NEED a Mino, they probably are at their best without one long term.

In spite of that I like the Mino! First off I love the fig I have for my Mino so there's that as well as being fun.

In another league that I play in my CD team has a ST 6 block claw monstrosity! It's worth it just to get the chance at ST5 blocking BG. I've taken three fishing adventures with Minos, all failures sadly. I cut him when I need to make some money and or he's at 31 points. S

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »
Cd's don't NEED a Mino, they probably are at their best without one long term.

In spite of that I like the Mino! First off I love the fig I have for my Mino so there's that as well as being fun.

In another league that I play in my CD team has a ST 6 block claw monstrosity! It's worth it just to get the chance at ST5 blocking BG. I've taken three fishing adventures with Minos, all failures sadly. I cut him when I need to make some money and or he's at 31 points. S

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
No.  The quick answer to your question.  You do not NEED a minotaur. 

But you have a minotaur on your team?  Yes I do.  I did it because I had a cool model I wanted to use. I had low expectations but he has been much better than I expected. I quickly expect that to change in B league, Unless I get a super minotaur like Lemkey. 

As others have said, once you get a good bull centaur or a chaos dwarf with claw / mighty blow, he won't be blitzing much.  At TV 100 - 150 he gives me access to mighty blow and frenzy, which is nice.  Also opposing teams have a tough time handling him.  But that ends when opposing teams get their killers.

Lastly, he is unreliable.  That is fine at low TV as you often don't have any other options and turns by both coaches can end early.  At high TV, it is a huge liability.  If you screw up early in a turn, it can be game over.  Loosing 1/6th of your blitzes is not a good way to win in B league.  Not to mention when he rolls poorly on the block dice.

You also cannot compare the minotaurs on the Chaos team with any other minotaur.  Having M access on a regular skill roll means he is basically a whole different player.
Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]

Offline Rimmer

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »
One more point.  I also think his TV cost is far too much for what he offers.  150K is a lot.  I much rather have 2 chaos dwarves or a bull centaur. 

Offline MacPhee

• Emerging Star
  • Blue Steel, bitches
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
No.
Expensive, without adding a lot.
OK at low TV, but once you start to skill up CDwarves they get quite expensive.

I think the team is better off without one.

Jundheim Ice Lords (4 seasons, TB25 Champs)
Lunch Money (1 season, 1 minors)
Tictaqto Golden Demons (1 season, 1 minors)
Stormwind Lions (1 season)
Heartwood Harlequins (1C, 1 Minors, 1B)
Rangoon Typhoon (new C Team!)

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:28 AM »
One more point.  I also think his TV cost is far too much for what he offers.  150K is a lot.  I much rather have 2 chaos dwarves or a bull centaur.

If you roll doubles, though I think the cost benefit ratio evens out a lot. S.

Offline Rimmer

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:43:34 AM »

If you roll doubles, though I think the cost benefit ratio evens out a lot. S.

Well, sure, but it is pretty random and it is expensive to rebuy minos over and over.  Also, any big guy is extremely good with a double.  Block on a krox or ogre is awesome.  Both of which are cheaper than a minotaur.

Also take the example above. Doubles is great in all cases.  Doubles on a chaos dwarf means a reliable claw player that will soon become a terror.  Double on a bull centaur is probably the weakest, but having a dodge bull centaur is pretty awesome.  The minotaur would be claw or block, both of which are good choices (I would take claw as the team has enough block already).

Offline Gimli

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
One thing, though, about the Mino is that arguably Wild Animal is not as bad a nega-trait as BH or RS, as you get to keep your  TZs if you fail.  So skills like Guard, Prehensile Tail, etc. still have some value, and other players still have to dodge to leave your TZs, whereas when a Krox or Ogre goes, he really goes. 

My thinking on the Mino is give him Juggernaut as a first skill, if it is a regular skill.  This takes away most of the double skull risk (which is especially acute on a Frenzy player), and he can give a rude surprise to Fenders and SF'ers.  See what the 2nd skill brings, and if isn't a double, try again. 

Offline Rimmer

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
As you said arguably.  I prefer bonehead over wild animal.  I prefer a more mobile player, and frenzy can be a bit scary.

As for skills, no argument, I take juggernaught as well.  The only problem is at high tv, you want to blitz with him less and less.

Offline wedge22

• Star
  • Contact via email or PM
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »
The only problem is at high tv, you want to blitz with him less and less.

And this is why I fired my player.
Thunderbowl Champion