Author Topic: Dark Elf help..  (Read 6967 times)

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
Dark Elf help..
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
So I'm playing Dark Elves in the minors, after a pretty disastrous season with them in C league 8.

Mostly so I can get a feel for playing Dark Elves, and understand the team dynamics better.

So far its been okay, although I've been suffering a lot of casualties (21 in my last 3 games).

I've been trying not to leave hits for the other team, but it gets hard after you are down 3 players in 2 turns, and still try to touch the ball :)

Would love any hints, tips and tricks.
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Re: Dark Elf help..
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
I am not sure I can consider myself that knowledgeable about the team, but here are a couple of the points I have found helpful. (No particular order)

- Patience patience patience
- You can hit, but if you try to slug it out you will probably lose. Unless you have a early advantage, focus on targeted hits instead of trying to knock his team down.
- Dodge away and make the other guy roll dice, and when the mistake/1/ :attackerDown: happens, pounce on the opportunity.

Of course, most of that applies equally to all teams.
Killing your mans dwarfs.

Offline Majyk (Wholly HighstepperZ / Drunk Hellmoots)

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
  • Talk is cheap: Action is sa'safaction!
    • WOBBL
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »
As an avid user of the DElf team, this is one of the best there is out there.

As with all AG4 teams, be sure you have 1 or 2 free Elves in the End Zone as you are ALWAYS a threat to score with a 2+/3+ Catch.

Easiest tactic to score = NO PROTECTION skills on the Runner!
With Dump Off, this is the easiest way of making sure you will always have the ball after a Blitz(and actually skill up that much faster since your Accurate Passes will be done on your opponent's turns!).
Why take the chance of surviving a hit for standing up with the ball - always use DO(just make sure you have outlets in Quick Pass Range, and even then, you don't have to pass to a player)!

If he dies, NEXT player:  1st skill = Nerves of Steel.
After that, skill up as you want(Accurate, etc).

I actually won the most Completions the year I was in C-League with my Slaughterhouse team and it wasn't from Active passing on my turns...

Assassins are up to you, but I love 'em as they take the hits that would otherwise plague your WE's/Blitzers.
That and early C-League Blodgers, where you don't quite have Tackle yet, will quake as they face these boys.
(I LOVE 1 of 'em, but 2 is even better if you have the cash to spare!)

Otherwise, I play them as Bash-y as any other team I run due to having 4 starting Block skilled blokes(and how often I fail ball-skill rolls whether with or without a RR).

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
Jason, it could just be that you've been without a Witch Elf for a while. I would replace her first before even a runner. She can help you control the sidelines even if she doesn't blitz. That intimidation buys you a lane down the side on offence. Think of her as a force multiplier. The rest of your team is less efficient without her.

Your inducements could probably yield better returns too. A merc Assassin with Block is 170k. An apo and babe will do more to keep you not just healthy to compete in the 2nd half for the current game, but they'll also keep you from getting outnumbered and CAS'd for the next.

BTW, I'd also drop your -ST blodge lineman. Blodge is nice, but he bloats your TV and I suspect most Minors teams have a blodger hunter by now as well. Replacing him with a journeyman gives you 40k that you can add to your inducements. Three JM linemen are not bad. At least you never have to worry about who to put on the line. :P
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
BTW, I'd also drop your -ST blodge lineman. Blodge is nice, but he bloats your TV and I suspect most Minors teams have a blodger hunter by now as well. Replacing him with a journeyman gives you 40k that you can add to your inducements. Three JM linemen are not bad. At least you never have to worry about who to put on the line. :P

Yeah, although he seems to be the only one left at the end of the game :)  He's got balls of steel!
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
So I'm playing Dark Elves in the minors, after a pretty disastrous season with them in C league 8.

Mostly so I can get a feel for playing Dark Elves, and understand the team dynamics better.

So far its been okay, although I've been suffering a lot of casualties (21 in my last 3 games).

I've been trying not to leave hits for the other team, but it gets hard after you are down 3 players in 2 turns, and still try to touch the ball :)

Would love any hints, tips and tricks.
All Menz line of scrimmage on defence. Never a mistake with doing the rowdiest play in BB
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline Fidius

• Coach
  • Experienced
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
This is a message I saved off Fumbbl a few months ago, written by one of the best players on the site. Obviously it will be hard-core and TV-match oriented, but still interesting:

Dark elves are all about the sidestep. Get as much as you can. I often prioritise it over dodge. It is the best weapon for disrupting opposing attacks as is removes their level of control in their own turn.

Wrestle is great for linos, unless they get guard first then give them block. Wrestle sidestep is particularly frustrating for opponents.

Ignore assassins.

POMB is nice for a witch, although I made better use of my juggernaut witch. She was great for surfing, and surfing has way better odds for player removal than even the mighty POMB. ;)

Keep at them. Darkies are great. However, and I'm sure I will receive abuse for this, I find it hard to recover from a serious beating. Building a great team up might take 20-30 games and then you can enjoy them for a while, but when some key players die it is often easier to make a new team than recover. But that is me.

But dark elves CAN cagebreak, if you play it right.

Try to split their team down the middle so that they aren't caging with a full complement. Slow them and harry them as you suggest, then you have two options.

a) You try to push them over to the side so you can start to surf a few players.

b) You man mark using your dodge SS guys on his players with [no] block+tackle and you stick wrestle+SS on his blacklers. He needs to make blocks to clear your guys and if it goes wrong then you end up with 2 or 3 TZs on his BC. If he tries to dodge away and falls then you are in a great spot.

Also, never buy runners. Worse than assassins.

Also, don't forget that a 5+ dodge with dodge skill is 55.5%. And a 4+ with dodge is 75%. Well worth it if you have a guy with SB or tackle depending on your target.

There are other tricks to play. Make sure you have a rookie player as the only defender in the direction you want him to take, so that if he pows him he can advance a few squares. Double up your better players so that he gains nothing from blitzing them. Try to stay in control of who he hits each turn.

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
Great advice Bill. I'm pretty sure Andy's team Dread followed a similar pattern. The frustrating thing playing against Dread was that the mass blodge+sidestep kept rearranging the board through your turn. As a result, you're constantly re-assessing your options because even your plan B is no longer possible. >:(  :(  :P
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline Redman

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »
This is a message I saved off Fumbbl a few months ago, written by one of the best players on the site. Obviously it will be hard-core and TV-match oriented, but still interesting:

Dark elves are all about the sidestep. Get as much as you can. I often prioritise it over dodge. It is the best weapon for disrupting opposing attacks as is removes their level of control in their own turn.

Wrestle is great for linos, unless they get guard first then give them block. Wrestle sidestep is particularly frustrating for opponents.

Ignore assassins.

POMB is nice for a witch, although I made better use of my juggernaut witch. She was great for surfing, and surfing has way better odds for player removal than even the mighty POMB. ;)

Keep at them. Darkies are great. However, and I'm sure I will receive abuse for this, I find it hard to recover from a serious beating. Building a great team up might take 20-30 games and then you can enjoy them for a while, but when some key players die it is often easier to make a new team than recover. But that is me.

But dark elves CAN cagebreak, if you play it right.

Try to split their team down the middle so that they aren't caging with a full complement. Slow them and harry them as you suggest, then you have two options.

a) You try to push them over to the side so you can start to surf a few players.

b) You man mark using your dodge SS guys on his players with [no] block+tackle and you stick wrestle+SS on his blacklers. He needs to make blocks to clear your guys and if it goes wrong then you end up with 2 or 3 TZs on his BC. If he tries to dodge away and falls then you are in a great spot.

Also, never buy runners. Worse than assassins.

Also, don't forget that a 5+ dodge with dodge skill is 55.5%. And a 4+ with dodge is 75%. Well worth it if you have a guy with SB or tackle depending on your target.

There are other tricks to play. Make sure you have a rookie player as the only defender in the direction you want him to take, so that if he pows him he can advance a few squares. Double up your better players so that he gains nothing from blitzing them. Try to stay in control of who he hits each turn.

I love this guy. 
Make Blood not Bowl.....  ;)

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
This is a message

I love this guy.

We all love Bill as much as you do.

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline poundfist

• Deputy Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
This is a message

I love this guy.
We all love Bill as much as you do.
Bill did not cite his source. Typical Econ student.

Offline Fidius

• Coach
  • Experienced
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:15 AM »
Bill did not cite his source. Typical Econ student.

So true.

I'll tell you who to love.  Love PeteW.  Go to Fumbbl, watch his replays. The man's a genius.

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »
PeteW is a blast to play against as well. Quite a good player and love the murder death kills.

"Jeffro