Author Topic: Re: Vamp starting tactics  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Redman

• Coach
  • Star
Re: Vamp starting tactics
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:04:48 AM »
Hey Kavin. 

I like the looks of that vampire build.   

Keller did you do the same with yours?
Make Blood not Bowl.....  ;)

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
Re: Re: Vamp starting tactics
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
Hey Kavin. 

I don't know if it is a good build. I figure I will quickly have journeymen thralls anyway given how I sacrifice linemen, so I just loaded up with RRs. I'll be surprised if I don't still need journeymen going into the Underbowl. Quick turns though... :D
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »
Hey Kavin. 

Actually yes. It's exactly what I did. I would drop a RR and go with 2 more thralls if it works out. I found having players was more important than RRs.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:49:58 PM by keggiemckill »
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline Redman

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
Makes those first couple games tough.   But if you can roll well with money you're laughing.   

Make Blood not Bowl.....  ;)

Offline trentusdementus

• Star
  • Coach of the Psychobots
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
Hey Kavin. 

Actually yes. It's exactly what I did. I would drop a RR and go with 2 more thralls if it works out. I found having players was more important than RRs.

This is what I've found as well.
2015 Golden Tentacle Champion

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »
Mr Monk would be happy.

20 in each league, very nice!
Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 05:45:40 AM »
Anyone know what Gothic Fiction started with?
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Offline Rimmer

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »
I think I started with 2 vamps, 10 thralls, 5 rerolls and 30K cash.  It may have been Kavin's roster though (3 vamps and 8 thralls).  I would never go under 5 rerolls for a starting Vamp team.

I like going reroll heavy and starting with a small # of vamps.  It forces you to develop a few thralls first.

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
Hmm, 2 vamps makes sense. I admit that John's build seems the least likely to result in catastrophe. Don't know if I'd find it fun though. Plus, I don't have the positioning sense down to use two vamps.

In terms of pace though, what's your philosophy? Score quick before your av7 and bloodlusts catch up with you? I'm trying to figure out what thrall skills would be a best fit beyond just block and dirty player.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
Possible thrall skills:

- block
- wrestle
- fend (keeps players away so easier to feed on them)

doubles
- thick skull (keeps them on the field so vamps can still feed on them)
- jump up

- AV +

Vampire skills to help:
- pro
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
Hmm, 2 vamps makes sense. I admit that John's build seems the least likely to result in catastrophe. Don't know if I'd find it fun though. Plus, I don't have the positioning sense down to use two vamps.

In terms of pace though, what's your philosophy? Score quick before your av7 and bloodlusts catch up with you? I'm trying to figure out what thrall skills would be a best fit beyond just block and dirty player.

Having never played vamps, so take this for what it is worth, I think Fend and Wrestle would be good for Thralls.  Fend so you can move them on the odd occasion without a dodge to where the vampire is headed and survivability, Wrestle to help with the fouling, but also a quick get up and run too. S.

Offline Rimmer

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:19:48 AM »

I don't have a particular strategy on offense of defense.  For starting teams you are just trying to do you best to survive.  You adapt to what is going on.  It can be anything from fleeing, stalling, crazy vampire blitzes, etc.  I suppose I play them more like an elf team as they are fragile and great at stealing the ball.  It is hard to defend against hypnotic gaze.

You have zero skills.   In general, I always try to score with Thralls as vamps will get SPP's easily.  Ofthen that isn't feasible, but do it when you can.  One skill thralls are precious.  Always take the effort to get a pass with a Thrall with an MVP.

For unskilled teams like Vamps, I always take Wrestle on the first 3 - 4 thralls.  It is sorta like 2 skills in one (Block / tackle).  Also, you often play more of a finesse style, so once the ball is loose, the vamps try to scoop it up.  After a few wrestle players I will go for some miscellaneous stuff like dirty player, sure hands, kick, a few block, etc.  For doubles, it is gaurd, but those players never seem to last long.  Leader is also nice, but you may take that with a vamp instead.

For the vamps I try to get half of them with Pro.  Helps manage the rerolls.  Other than that it is nice to make two killers (Block, MB, Piling on, etc.), a ball stealer for defense (block, strip ball, tackle), a ball handler for offensive drives (block, sure hands, maybe a few passing skills), and a couple of gaurds (block, guard, sidestep).  I do like having 6 vamps by the end and fielding 5 per drive.

Remember, you don't have to activate your vampire!

Offline trentusdementus

• Star
  • Coach of the Psychobots
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »
It might not mean much since I don't have a good record with them but, I found that the first priority of a Vampire team is keeping their own players on the pitch. Despite how others feel about the skill, Pro is one of the only ways to mitigate Bloodlust and should be one of the first skills for your vamps.

My first Thrall got kick. I found that if you can put the ball where you want it, Vamps can potentially be impossible to defend against.

Wrestle, Fend, and Thick Skull are all good skills for Thralls but, IMHO Dirty Player is not a good choice (unless maybe combined with Sneaky Git). Too many times to count, I have fouled and lost a Thrall I could not afford to lose while doing it. I don't foul anymore and my record has improved.

2015 Golden Tentacle Champion

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »
I picked Wrestle first skill always. The reason for it was because it was a similar way of gazing a player. Making gaps where the opponent didn't want them. I usually took Fend second, but I think I wouldn't be against taking Block to go along with wrestle. It may be the only player in BB where I would do that with.

Kavin, it's better to have a Vampire remove a Thrall with a bite than it is an opposing coach. At the least it guarantees he will be in the next match. AV7 is merciless and at times players fly off the field like Hobos near a Soup kitchen. I also tend to not use many RRs for Blood Lust as I was more concerned with trying remove my opponents pieces as quickly as mine were being removed. I found it was the only way to win. I hardly fouled unless I had a really good chance at removing a positional. Get used to playing down players. This is how Vamps compete. Having wicked awesome players to relentlessly beat down the defense. Ironically Offense is a waste to me. I tend to get picked apart there as less Vamps are hitting, aka moving the ball. Defense is where the Vamps make their money.

At higher TVs stragety does change. I couldn't change with what needed to be done which resulted in my terrible record at a higher TV. RRs, shmee rolls.
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro