Author Topic: 40mm Range Ruler Insight  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Casebolt

• Fans
  • Veteran
40mm Range Ruler Insight
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
Gents.

I have a couple Thunderbowl 40mm range rulers, but am looking to get some made for a tournament we will host this Spring.  I have a couple feelers out to places for quotes.

Any lessons learned that you can pass on (pun intended) regarding what you have learned about how difficult this is to do, etc?

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
Re: 40mm Range Ruler Insight
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:39:53 AM »
They might not be exactly what you are looking for but I wanted some made of 1/8" acrylic or plexiglass:

I bought acrylic and had a friend cut them on a table saw, worked ok, but not amazingly.

I priced some out at a plexiglass place, and they were horribly expensive.

I haven't tried yet, but its on my list of things to try out:
buy plexi/acrylic and cut at a laser cutting place, and then engrave design on it with the laser.  Locally I can get my cuts done for $2/min (I'd guess a throwing template would be about 1 min max), and the acrylic probably works out to about $1.00 each, so I think if you do the layout yourself (in inkscape normally), you're looking at a few dollars each at most.

If you are interested in more concrete info on this let me know as I am about to go cut a whole whack of stuff this week, and buy some plexi for another project (netrunner tokens), so I could probably whip up a template in inkscape and do a prototype.

I'll let the thunderbowl guys discuss acetate printing, although I was thinking about this too, as I think you can cut acetate on the laser cutter, so if you got it printed it might be cheaper to have it laser cut (as I've found the printing places charge a premium on cutting services).
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
Any lessons learned that you can pass on (pun intended) regarding what you have learned about how difficult this is to do, etc?

IIRC, the official 28mm ruler from the boxed set is slightly off on one of the ranges, so don't just blow that up to 40mm I suppose. ;)

It doesn't usually matter anyways because most people count squares and use a throwing chart. In practice, the ruler is mostly used to detect interception attempts, so perhaps the edges should be transparent too?
Ratchester UnitedBeastialityPassholes  ↫ Olde Worlde Wrappers ↫ Leaps of Faith

• Star
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
I have a throwing template in tiff and psd formats if anyone wants, needs (tried attaching, but it doesn't work..
--

Offline Casebolt

• Fans
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Gollumullog

Can you email to tournaments@everett-bbl.org?

• Star
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
sent, sorry for the delay, I was in seattle, if I had known I could have hand delivered, would have been faster :)
--