Author Topic: Grab on a Blitz?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
Grab on a Blitz?
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »

When I do a push play I have a blitzer come around the rear of the opponent's LOS, and then push the other player across the LOS onto my SS skink.  Then, a player placed besides the other player, who is now on my side of the LOS, pushes the Skink one (sometimes two) more time (s).  Does Grab help by avoiding having to get behind the other player's LOS?  I assume that must be the case.

Yeah, with Grab you don't need to blitz from the back of the line and it opens up alot of options for the OTTD. Me personal favorite part of grab, however is that you never worry about hitting a Side Stepper.  Even on a blitz you get to choose where the other guy goes!  S.

Offline Gimli

• TBRC
  • Star
Re: Grab on a Blitz?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
Me personal favorite part of grab, however is that you never worry about hitting a Side Stepper.  Even on a blitz you get to choose where the other guy goes!  S.

Thought I'd start a new topic, as you touch on a question I've always wondered about.  I don't have a copy of my Rules on hand, but iirc Grab does not work on a Blitz - is that correct? 

Offline Lord Chaos

• The Best Looking Champion in Thunderbowl History
  • Da' Management
  • Star
  • Suck my Block!
    • TB Comics
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Grab also lets you get 2 attempts at the push play. If for instance you roll double blocks or knock the guy down with double POWs, you can now fall back on the blitz from the back end if its there. Grab helped Bumbanger score a few times. Another advantage is if you successfully use the grab guy instead of a blitz to push the Skink forward but don't knock the player down, now you have to either catch the ball in a TZ, dodge or both. Now you can use the left over blitz action to free your Skink to one turn it.
I would 16 turn foul my mom, so don't be shocked when I do it to you!!!!

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
Me personal favorite part of grab, however is that you never worry about hitting a Side Stepper.  Even on a blitz you get to choose where the other guy goes!  S.

Thought I'd start a new topic, as you touch on a question I've always wondered about.  I don't have a copy of my Rules on hand, but iirc Grab does not work on a Blitz - is that correct?

Correct, grab does not work on a blitz, however, on a blitz it still cancels sidestep, and you get to choose the normal 3 squares.

Offline Nevyn

• Coach
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
Grab does not work in this instance.  Grab MUST move the player to an empty square, you could not grab an opposing player into your player with sidestep.
No guts, no glory!

Offline gollumullog (Phlegraean Marauders)

• Star
  • contact via email or cell
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
Grab does not work in this instance.  Grab MUST move the player to an empty square, you could not grab an opposing player into your player with sidestep.

Not sure what you are referring to...  You are correct with the second part of your statement.  But I don't think anyone said otherwise.

If you are referring to my post in the other thread about helping with the OTT, I believe I said you can pull him into your LOS, so that you can then push him into your ss'er
--
Coach of the Firebowl XXX Champions Death Runs Faster

Offline Blammaham

• Commissioner
  • Da' Management
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
I'm also confused, what i meant was the Grab ALWAYS cancels SS even on a blitz. S.

Offline Gimli

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
Ok, two points.  If I understand the posts, on a Blitz Grab still cancels SS, but the placement feature of Grab doesn't work.  This could come as a rude surprise to a SS'er lurking on a sideline. 

As to its impact on a 1TTD, I agree that you have to Grab the player into an empty square - you can't grab him into a SS player.  Once you pull the player over to your side of the LOS, though, you can then push him into your player who is going to try for the 1TTD.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:22:43 PM by Gimli »

Offline Nevyn

• Coach
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »
Jason, your later post (different thread) did clarify that grab helps to empty square & OTT.  This post seemed to suggest you could grab directly into ss player.
No guts, no glory!