Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 38871 times)

Offline Sallacious

• Graphics Guru
  • Coach
  • Star
Dungeons and Dragons
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
Does anyone play D&D? I am currently making dungeon sections using hirst arts molds. I was hoping to play on them but have no idea how to play properly.

We didn't lose.... we just ran outta time.

Offline trentusdementus

• Star
  • Coach of the Psychobots
Re: Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
Yeah, I play D&D. Have you ever played any type of RPG before?
2015 Golden Tentacle Champion

Offline Sallacious

• Graphics Guru
  • Coach
  • Star
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Yes, I have played D&D 3.5 and have the books for that... but haven't really played table top with miniatures. I liked playing it with the imagination and all, but would like to play using terrain and really seeing where the minis are.

I have also played Shadowrun, Robotech, and Rolemaster.

Offline trentusdementus

• Star
  • Coach of the Psychobots
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:00:51 AM »
I find that D&D is best with tabletop minis and I have been playing it that way since 1st ed. We used cut up cereal boxes (2" square tiles) and placed them as the characters would see them, gradually opening up the dungeon as they went. It was fun to have the party map the dungeon as the DM laid each piece down.

However, it was the Players Option rules that finally laid out the mini rules as they are in 3.5 and it was great to finally have D&D with actual rules for mini play.

I've played those games. I found Shadowrun to be the most easily playable system of the three (we also played it with minis because some of those old Shadowrun minis are awesome/terrible) and I still hate the Paladium system.

I would be interested to see how those tiles turn out, when do you plan on playing Jesse?
2015 Golden Tentacle Champion

Offline Majyk (Wholly HighstepperZ / Drunk Hellmoots)

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
  • Talk is cheap: Action is sa'safaction!
    • WOBBL
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:56:45 AM »
I've got a small group of 2-4 players that meets twice a month for our D&D3.5 game.
Kevin played with us for a bit but school started keeping him away to concentrate on home stuff - which is kewl...real life, first, always!

Currently on Summer break(we do a Winter break, as well, for a few months), we use Dwarven Forge/D&DMini maps that I had the Wifey laminate with squares allowing for 28mm bases - Mini bases.
Here is a link to map(s) that are quite akin to the ones I had made up, if ever needing a certain scene pre-done:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mit/20040526golalternate
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mit/20050728a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mit/20051103a

Here's a kewl link to a map generator that also seeds what it creates for certain PC Levels:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_dungeon.php

I have used this combo of displaying things(including interior dressing(crates, barrels, torch stands, tables) from DF, too) since the 90's and even since Dave Desjardins had his comic shop and I was opened up to how Trent's group plays things with a BattleMat of 1" squares one can draw with(and we use this when everything else fails).

Without playing and showing relative positions on a map, I won't RPG with anyone as there are too many fights with everyone on positioning for spells and all.
A had a buddy make up "spell templates" - just thin gauge wire bent into patterns that exactly follow D&D spells - and that is an AWESOME way of marking out exactly where someone is casting!
That said, the Wifey would LOVE me to lose half the collection of D&DMinis I ended up with over the decades...

I'll invite you out next time we end up playing, Jesse(and even have Kevin grab you for the night so you can do another thing my group does from time to time...enjoy a brew or three whilst playing) as I try to keep my group small so everyone gets a chance to have quick fun vs lots of downtime due to waiting for their next turn in a bigger group.

Yes, I have played D&D 3.5 and have the books for that... but haven't really played table top with miniatures. I liked playing it with the imagination and all, but would like to play using terrain and really seeing where the minis are.

Offline Sallacious

• Graphics Guru
  • Coach
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
Here is the start of our dungeon tiles. We still have to paint them and make much much more...

and

And here are the accessories...

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
    • WOBBL
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »
Yeah, I hear painting those things is fairly quick and painless with drybrushing with a huge brush full of yellows and whites after a base coat of grey and inking of black.

Definitely take some pics after you're done and crow, because anything NOT paying Dwarven Forge shipping and handling(it's OUTRAGEOUS what they charge) to us in Canada is worth it.

They just did some kind of DF kickstarter, too, but it was basically all the same pieces I'd had from before.
(Painting video/shots at the bottom:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-game-tiles-revolutionary-miniature)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:54:43 AM by Majyk (Wholly HighstepperZ / SlaughterHouse) »

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
Yeah, I hear painting those things is fairly quick and painless with drybrushing with a huge brush full of yellows and whites after a base coat of grey and inking of black.

Definitely take some pics after you're done and crow, because anything NOT paying Dwarven Forge shipping and handling(it's OUTRAGEOUS what they charge) to us in Canada is worth it.

They just did some kind of DF kickstarter, too, but it was basically all the same pieces I'd had from before.

Matt, is it any better if DF ships to the US? Thanks to Adams' recommendation, I've got a parcel receiving account in Blaine, and I've never suffered the same shipping charges since.

Jesse, that looks awesome. How many molds did you buy in order to create that range of tiles? Also, did you have any air bubble issues with setting the plaster?
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline Sallacious

• Graphics Guru
  • Coach
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
I have 4 molds from Hirst Arts and then made my own from some really good casts. I get air bubbles from time to time but for the most part, it's pretty good. I pound the crap out of my table when pouring the hydrocal. I am going to make a casting table using a variable speed massager strapped to the bottom. That should take care of any and all air bubbles for future casts.

Painting is quick. I just finished painting the base coat on all the pieces. I am currently making door ways... looks cool.

Offline Mr.Bloodweiser

• Star
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »
great looking stuff jesse!   matt if you get a game going put me down to come out...cheers
Im just here for the BEER!

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
    • WOBBL
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:59 PM »
OK bro, will do.
With Bobby in the hospital we're on indefinite hiatus right now, but I laughed and told him we just might show up and play IN hospital if he is stuck there over long!   8)

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
    • WOBBL
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 12:24:52 AM »
Yeah, will have to take a look at that option as it isn't worth the "price of the product, itself" in shipping charges!~

Matt, is it any better if DF ships to the US? Thanks to Adams' recommendation, I've got a parcel receiving account in Blaine, and I've never suffered the same shipping charges since.

Offline Sallacious

• Graphics Guru
  • Coach
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
I have decided to make molds of the larger pieces and just those instead. I am making the three basic tiles that Dwarven Forge makes except my walls will be slightly shorter. I will post with some examples once I have done it. I have made one 2x2 tile and waiting for things to dry before making the mold.

Offline Aberrant

• Emerging Star
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
You should try to get into pathfinder its like 3.5 but cleaner. they tightened up the system a lot. I find it plays better and has some really cool stuff in it. I am going to try and put a game together but I haven't run a game in years and have never run a pathfinder game so it might be a bit rough when I get going.
Mike H

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
    • WOBBL
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
Have the Pathfinder stuff, though I think it is the Beta stuff they were releasing online at the time.
Definitely stole a few things skill-wise, though this was done before the book came out(amalgamated skills like Spot/Listen for Awareness, and Hide/Stalk into Sneak so other PC's would be able to save some skill points).

I do like their Adventure Paths, too, and have had my group run through Falcon's Hollow until they left the region due to actually being depressed about all the bad stuff that happens to it, LOLOL!