Author Topic: Help a frogger out: Slann Starting Builds and Advice  (Read 14887 times)

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
Re: Help a frogger out: Slann Starting Builds and Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »
I had my first box game yesterday with Slann. I lost but very closely. Tyler nailed it on the head. My opponent hit me 60 times that game and I hit him 14 times. I chose to leap way to often. I think I'll change my stragedy for the second game and jut try and bash the shite out of my opponent.
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline Redman

• Coach
  • Star
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
one of the problems with taking catchers to start is they are av7 and they are ball hogs, kind of like elven catchers.

I love the Blitzers. excellent skill access.  Once they get 1 skill they are great. JU/DT and block/wrestle. If you start out with 3+ catchers they will do everything. Lose your first couple games if you need to it's all about getting those blitzers their skills.
Make Blood not Bowl.....  ;)

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
It's a trap!

Don't take blitzers until later.  You need 4+ rerolls! You have no blocking skills and no ball handling skills (aside from AG4).  I would rather a linemen + a reroll vs. a blitzer.

Think long term.  Spread the Spps around and skill up a few line men to get block/wrestle.
Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
http://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6SlannSetUp

There 4 Variations on this page Kav, if it helps.

"Jeffro

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
I see you haven't built the Slann team yet Kav. What's the build for you going to be? I've recently read and listened to Slann theory. Very differing points of view. I'm enthusiastic to see how you put the team together. You are a good team builder and strategist. I'm on the end of my chair with anticipation.

"Jeffro

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
I honestly don't know. I was hoping to play a few games on Fumbbl, but have been too swamped to experiment. oi. Pun unintended.

I'm not Tony though, that much I know. I watched him grind the crap out of me with Slann and don't think I can ever do that. My instincts are, for better or for worse, run'n gun. :-[
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline Vampire Logan

• Veteran
  • cell:778-554-7575
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 03:15:20 AM »
If you have reasonably good luck and like having a big guy to start (as I do because it takes a while to build them up so its best to have them early, if you wait it could be half way though the season before you get him depending on your other needs), I would go with:

1 Kroxigor @140k
1 blitzer @ 110K
3 Catchers @ 240K
6 Lineman @ 360K
3 Re-roll @ 150K
Total 1000k
(or swap out the blitzer for another catcher and have 30k towards your apoth, since the blitzer seems a bit overpriced for what u get to start, more of a crowd control guy than blitzer - no Block Blitzer?)

If you have a lot of bad luck or don't like big guys, go with more rerolls and blitzers:

2 blitzes @ 220K
2 Catchers @ 160K
7 Lineman @ 420K
4 Re-roll @ 200K
Total 1000k
(again you might want to swap out 1 or both blitzers for catchers and get apoth sooner)

If you take option 1 you can play a bit more aggressively but keep your leaps to a min when you run out of rerolls. If you take option 2, you have to kinda play like elves and keep out of enemy tackle zones until you build up some skills.

VL

Note: I've never played these guys before but this (option 1) is what I would do if I was playing them.

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
So far I'm finding the blitzers fairly useless at low TV. I'd rather just have a linefrog+RR for the same cost. Besides, I think my "take a punch for the team" attitude to my team is probably a very bad fit for this team to begin with. At least elven rookies were still spectacular, but my tendency to give up lots of easy CAS is probably a bad fit with blitzer costs and slow spp growth.

I'm really tempted to take a Krox. I've now had enough seasons away from Beastiality that a big guy doesn't make me shudder. ;)
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »
I ended up going with my initial inclination (same as John's suggestion):

1 Krox
3 Catchers
7 Linemen
4 Rerolls

I just could not really make sense of the Blitzers. Time will tell if that was a good idea.

I did well the first day with a heavy-helping of good dice on key rolls. Honestly, the biggest reason I went with the above build was fluff (the world needs a strong Pope), but it worked out well as the Krox kept me in both games.

Offline Majyk (Wholly HighstepperZ / Drunk Hellmoots)

• The Fan-guy
  • Star
  • Talk is cheap: Action is sa'safaction!
    • WOBBL
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
LOL, my first game against MacPhee and his Skaven had me roll no less than 9 - FREAKIN' NINE! - BoneHeads for my Krox!

I summarily did the same thing throughout my first season with them.

Keep rolling those hot dice, and pray they do not turn on you.
I made sure never to Leap on a 3+ and it still bit me when it came to ball handling - a theme with my teams, it seems!

Blitzers are invaluable to the team concept as they become GREAT roadblocks FAST!

My build was something like 1 Krox, 3 Catchers, 2 Blitzers and the rest linefrogs, I think, though I only had 3 RR's and it took awhile to get to 4 with my d6 rolling skills.
Good luck, this season(and post to your FUMBBL opponent)!