Author Topic: Help a frogger out: Slann Starting Builds and Advice  (Read 14852 times)

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
Help a frogger out: Slann Starting Builds and Advice
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
I'm leaning towards, catchers a krox and 4 rerolls to start a Slann team with. Blitzers just seem so prohibitively expensive. Seems to be a lot of ways you can go with this team over the long haul.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
Re: Help a frogger out: Slann Starting Builds and Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
Follow these rules:

1) Do not take blitzers at the start

2) Minimum of 3 rerolls, preferably 4.

I like

7 linefrogs
3 catchers
1 krox
4 rerolls
0 FF

Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]

Offline Lord Chaos

• The Best Looking Champion in Thunderbowl History
  • Da' Management
  • Star
  • Suck my Block!
    • TB Comics
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
I took 2 blitzers to start and did just fine so to each their own. I love the blitzers for diving tackle and jump up alone. Not to mention the str access.
I would 16 turn foul my mom, so don't be shocked when I do it to you!!!!

Offline Spaceman Spiff

• Freak and Weirdo
  • Star
  • Contact via phone
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
do not underestimate the worth of the blitzers.  they may be expensive and take a while to skill, but they end up being fuggin awesome.
If you want to skip them on team creation, go for it, but that just means it's going to be even longer untill they get skilled.
you can do a rookie team with 2 blitzers 2 catchers and no krox that works out decent.

also. when did we get a tactics and strategy section?
I saw Tony roll a 7 once. I also got struck by lightning twice that day and watched Trent pick up a chick. So something was in the air. - Elsie

Offline Rimmer

• Fashion Director of the Princely Pricks
  • Coach
  • Star
  • "Your going to wear THAT?"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
I would take the blitzers in the long run, just not at the start.  Hopefully by the end of C league you would have all 4.
Thunderbowl Champion (Seasons 4 [Vampire], 7 & 21 [Necro])
Powerbowl Champion (Seasons 1 [Norse], 10 [elf], 16 [Chaos Dwf], 38 [Human])
SPIKE Champion 2009 & 2015 [Chaos Dwf] & 2016 [Underworld]

Offline dr. evil

• Underbowl XXII Champion
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
They take a while to skill up so you'll need to have the blizters to start. They are the backbone of the team.
Beware the pink dice

Offline keggiemckill

• Consigliere
  • TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »
I just played my first Slann game on Fumbbl. I gotta say that are fun to play. They are a very fun team to use as a strategic defensive team. I won 2-1. One thing I noticed is that I hit 1/2 the amount of times. Nuffle helped me out by giving me AV 11 on every player. That being said, I like both the catchers and Blitzers. I found the Krox not as helpful as I thought he would be. I still would take one.

My starting roster was this:

2 Catchers 140
1 Krox
1 Blitzer
7 Slann-men
3 RRs.

Jump up on the Blitzer really helps. Slann, to me, are similar to Skaven. The lack of speed on the catcher is compensated by the leap skill. The Blitzer Jump up creates low TV problems. I don't think they will be very good at 200 TV, but they are a blast below that. I'm starting a box Slann team this weekend. If go with 3 RRs but I'd have some coaches and cheer leaders to hopefully steal away the kick off RRs.
The Drunker I get, the more I spill

"Keggie is the guy with the bleach blond hair that gives answers nobody else would think of."
"Jeffro

Offline Harbinger

• Star
  • Back on the pain train.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
I played 21 matches with Slann in the league I ran for a short time. I really like the blitzers, but you have to force feed them SPPs. I started with 2 Blitzers, 2 Catchers and 7 Linefrogs and 4 rerolls. I should have dropped one reroll and gotten an Apo. I had a blitzer die in game one and didn't get him back for a while. I found the Krox to be more Threat than substance until you can get a skill like Block or Guard; the 6 MA is very awesome though. Anyway if you buy Blitzers then buy and Apo.

Offline dr. evil

• Underbowl XXII Champion
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »
I played 21 matches with Slann in the league I ran for a short time. I really like the blitzers, but you have to force feed them SPPs. I started with 2 Blitzers, 2 Catchers and 7 Linefrogs and 4 rerolls. I should have dropped one reroll and gotten an Apo. I had a blitzer die in game one and didn't get him back for a while. I found the Krox to be more Threat than substance until you can get a skill like Block or Guard; the 6 MA is very awesome though. Anyway if you buy Blitzers then buy and Apo.
This is the  build I started with (3 rerolls and an apo). If you're going to have a krox then I wouldn't have more than 3 blizters.
Beware the pink dice

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
do not underestimate the worth of the blitzers.  they may be expensive and take a while to skill, but they end up being fuggin awesome.
If you want to skip them on team creation, go for it, but that just means it's going to be even longer untill they get skilled.
you can do a rookie team with 2 blitzers 2 catchers and no krox that works out decent.

also. when did we get a tactics and strategy section?

Just made it. I thought it made more sense to have these strategy discussions on an open forum.

Regarding blitzers, I can see why you want them against agile teams especially. But what's the point of using them against a bash team? They're 50k more expensive than a linefrog and I'm guess most teams will simply block them instead of dodge in the early going.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Offline Spaceman Spiff

• Freak and Weirdo
  • Star
  • Contact via phone
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
easy guard access.
I saw Tony roll a 7 once. I also got struck by lightning twice that day and watched Trent pick up a chick. So something was in the air. - Elsie

Offline Warpstone

• TBRC
  • Star
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
For leaping a guard-er into a cage? That's 2 x 3+ leaps plus the blitz itself (ideally with no guard going against you).  How often do you go all-in for that?

I guess I just don't know if I'll have much of a team if I keep throwing frogs into hot water like that. :D

Offline Spaceman Spiff

• Freak and Weirdo
  • Star
  • Contact via phone
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
not for leaping into cages silly, just generic guard access like humans have and need.  it's really nice to be able to bash back as a finesse team

Offline Harbinger

• Star
  • Back on the pain train.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
Take it from someone who used leap almost everyturn. Almost every other leap you do is deadly. I managed to get a blitzer with AG 4 and people didn't like it one bit. They did enjoy all the dirt torpedoes I launched. Leaping into cages with Guard isn't that good unless you score in the same turn. The next turn your Guards get pounded if you don't. I learned to leap with Catchers for getting away with the ball and gamble pick up in TZs to throw or hand off. Essenstially if you never roll poorly for leap your likely to do well. As we know about dice they never seem to want love you all the time or in my case which I call waterboarding you only get good results when you don't really need them. If you play conservative and use the catchers and blitzers earn SPPs the rest of your team will pick SPPs and you'll see linefrogs with skills shortly. After 10 to 12 games you should have all your Blitzers, Catchers, Krox and 4 - 5 rerolls. This  is if your players don't get killed.

Defense against leap is covering the area that a leaping player can go to but as the whole team leaps its best to cover the models deepest into your half. Or smash the leaper. I imagine most people know the former and do the latter or both, but it cant hurt to say it again.  ;)

Offline Lord Chaos

• The Best Looking Champion in Thunderbowl History
  • Da' Management
  • Star
  • Suck my Block!
    • TB Comics
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
I had one game where I leaped once.
I would 16 turn foul my mom, so don't be shocked when I do it to you!!!!